Mar 20, 2010

Something about horses




It's very common, here in PR, to abandon a horse when he or she gets hurt--but that doesn't make it right. I went to the beach yesterday at 9am and I saw this horse at the side of the road to the beach. I thought she was dead, but when I got close she raised her head to look at me. She was down and I saw that she had a deep wound in one of her back legs and several other minor wounds. I gave her water, and not knowing what is the agency in charge to deal with a situation like this, I called the police. They told me they will call the proper agency. I got back home to study but kept thinking about the horse all day until I decided to go back to the beach at 4pm to see if someone has taken care of the situation. To my surprise--yes, I'm still a little naive--the horse was still there--agonizing!!! I called back the police and they assured me they have called someone to take of this. I talked to a couple of people at the beach and a young man told me he also called someone in San Juan (in charge of cases like this one)in the morning, and nothing has been done yet. A couple told me that they have seen the horse around the night before but she was standing. Finally, the horse died at 4:21pm in front of me. I was the last person to caressed her and the last person she saw.
Seriously--what kind of person abandons a sweet horse like her? And what kind of government agencies let a horse agonize all day like that??? I would like to know what is the agency responsible for this lack of humanity. Why it took them so long to do something?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are an angel. I am not sure have what it takes to do what you do everyday. I hope the people that did this pay for it. God is watching!!

Elena Puerto Rico said...

My comment is that the number one problem in Puerto Rico is the public school system. It is not good, it is not safe and it teaches kids to become de sensitized. fix the school system and the animal cruelty by indifference problem will shrink considerably.

Sandra said...

Some may say it's the school--and although I agree that school, especially at the elementary level should enfatize more on how to respect animals, education starts at home. I'm teaching Physics to a bunch of 12-graders and I frequently have to deal with their parents who happen to justify their children's behavior--no matter how twisted they are--and the parents attitude is frequently far worse than that of their kids. So at this level (secondary education), no matter how hard the teachers try to set them straight--the kids go back home and their behavior is aproved by their parents, so teachers can go to hell... (so they say).

Sandra said...

Someone told me that there is no real agency in charge of this. It's the municipality who has to get a vet to put the animal down, then burry her. all this government agencies were calling to each others washing their hands while the poor horse was agonizing.